Sunday, August 23, 2009

leavin' on a jet plane

I guess, since many, many things will be leaving my possession this week for the next destination, that I can go ahead and make the formal announcement. Not that it comes as any shock to anyone.

Once Crunch formally leaves the Atlanta region, I will also. I am officially moving back to New York City.

There are still a few kinks to work out, but I think I've got most of it ready to go. My personal effects will leave my current living quarters on Friday afternoon -- everything except one bag of luggage with a week's worth of clothing to be worn in rotation. The cats will be cargo shipped up on Wednesday into the loving arms of my future roommate who has graciously offered to take them in as his own until I'm up there myself. Though I don't have a solid date for my own departure, it should be within the next three weeks. As an added bonus, I'll be eligible for unemployment and the all-important COBRA subsidy.

I must leave my current living situation by September 1, so I have decided to take up my big brother's offer to return to ManHouse until my job is done, bringing the whole Atlanta experience full circle.

I came here totally aimless, disappointed and broken down over my own failures. I stumbled into a job I wound up holding on to for four years (to the day today, actually) -- the longest I've ever stayed in one place. And while the last four months have soured me on the work experience, I've gained a great deal from my experience. I never did make much of a personal connection with this city, and several of my friends have decried its very existence for the run of bad luck I had here (a bit melodramatic if you ask me, but whatever - heart's in the right place). I emerge a bit less aimless, and in far greater control of my personal destiny. While I'm uncertain about what happens next, I know I'm making the right choices -- and in the off-chance I'm not, I know I'm much better equipped to handle it than I was before. I'm like a cat -- I always land on my feet.

Unless I get hit by a beer truck. In that case, I land on my back and top of my head.

1 comment:

Sayre said...

Well, if you'd quit playing in the street...

I"m glad this is all finally wrapping up. You've got it all planned. Doesn't it feel good to approach things in an organized way rather than being swept along like you were before? It's a sign of growing up - you're there.