Monday, August 3, 2009

informed decision coming right up

On the level: If concerns about my continuing health were not a factor, chances are I would have left my current job three months ago. I'm only hanging in for health insurance at this point, marching to the end to have a COBRA subsidy in hand so I can start writing the next chapter of my life.

However, as delay after delay takes place, I'm fearing more and more that the opportunities I have available to me in the next three weeks will slip away... and THEN be out of a job, and stuck somewhere I can't find a new one. It almost comes down to a choice between physical health or mental state. If I can find a balance between the two, I'm launching myself at it and never looking back.

I'm happy to say I think I've found it. I've been talking to one friend who works for the Department of Labor to guide me through the puzzle of HIPAA and creditable coverage, one friend in NYC's health and mental hygiene department, and one friend who is currently covered by the NYC public health insurance program and volunteers with HIV/AIDS assistance programs.

I have more details to look into, but as I examine this further and further, it looks to be 80/20 that I will leave Atlanta by the end of August. The only thing that's kept me in place so far is the lack of options. Now that I have what appear to be viable ones -- it's time to get moving.

1 comment:

Sayre said...

Doing your homework makes decisions - especially the right ones - so much easier!!! I'm glad you've found out a few things that are helping you figure it all out.