Tuesday, June 23, 2009

serious debate

Wowza, my head has been silently spinning for the past twenty four hours.

Discovery number 1: The hearing for the lease rejection of my facility (and four others) has been adjourned to July 14. Meaning: My job won't disappear at the end of this week. There's a lot of variables that are way, way, way up in the air. The emergence from bankruptcy has also been delayed. The auction for new ownership was due to take place on June 30th, but that has now been put off. Bids are now due July 17, auction July 21, and close of the sale on July 24. (got a spare 40 mil? Buy my company!) Additionally, the company who is rumored to purchase the membership rolls of my facility and my parent company mutually paused negotiations until June 30. Add in a dash of precedent in how the company shut down a facility with similar methods last month. I don't know what to make of it! This could play out many, many different ways. So I'll just write it out...and if you can maybe make sense of it, try to clue me in?

Scenario A) Closure of the facility is reliant upon the motion to reject the lease being granted. Lease is rejected on July 14th. Facility will close with three days notice in time for bids submission.

Scenario B) A deal is struck with the membership purchaser on or about June 30. Closure proceeds with some notice but prior to lease rejection. This fits with precedent; the location that was closed last month was done two days prior to their lease rejection actually being granted. Employees and members were given two weeks notice.

Scenario C) The adjournment has bought us time and may actually work in our favor to prove our worth and change the minds of the heads of the company. As inexplicable and ridiculously optimistic as this option sounds, there's a small amount of plausibility. Currently, my facility is one of the best performing units in the company. For the months of April and May, we were in pretty dire straits, but somehow in June we're burning it up. I have absolutely no idea how that's even possible. It's just barely enough to consider ...hope? reckless optimism? I think I'm far too much of a realist for that, but the couple of other people aware of the situation are grabbing on to that idea pretty tightly.

Discovery number 2: My best friend in NYC's roommate called me at 11:30 last night. She's moving out on August 1, and do I want the room? Of course I do... but without a job in NYC, what do I do? Then, the shocking twist came talking to my best friend: The rent is only $50 more than what I'm currently paying in Atlanta. Now, I have a pretty darn good rent in Atlanta. That rate plus fifty in NYC is absolutely UNHEARD of. In fact, it would be the cheapest rent I EVER paid in New York. And the place is wonderful. Assuming the club closes and I lose my job in mid-July, I can opt in for COBRA (yay subsidy!) and find some waiting tables gig when I first get there while searching for my real job (and actually BEING there is a big help in landing interviews). I stay covered until better days and better insurance plans, living in MY city. But nothing's set in stone. I mean, it's all but an absolute certainty in my view (the filing for lease rejection was very, very clear to me...)

It would appear this is all in the timing. Do I hedge my bets that I will be out of a job at earliest, the first week of July, at latest the third week of July? That's a pretty sure bet. Do I give my roommate notice I'm leaving at the end of July? (Very likely. If I lose the job but don't leave Atlanta, I'll probably move back in with my brothers.)

I'd be taking a pretty serious gamble here, but I think the odds are more in my favor than ever before. Which, I know, is a very strange thing for someone about to lose his job to say.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Read my email--dad

Sayre said...

I wouldn't go on any wild goose chases until you've seen the goose.