Saturday, June 20, 2009

he's dead, jim

I'm gonna call it. Time of death: 3:45pm, June 20th, 2009.

That was the time I found my fate in Atlanta. After two and a half months of unanswered questions, unending stress, torn out hair and frustration, I discovered docket number 67.

Filed on May 22nd, but kept from the public by the noticing agent, Docket 67 seeks to reject five leases under bankruptcy protection, including the facility where I am currently employed. I discovered this through the public records posted by the NY Bankruptcy Court, access to which is provided at a small premium.

So that's it. I expect the end of my employment to come inside two weeks, and this time rather than well placed sources, I can rely on black and white court filings. The hearing on the motion was held on Wednesday. Only one objection to the motion was filed by the management company for a different facility in Chicago. The previous two lease rejection motions carried despite objections, and there's no reason to think this one won't either.

It's really quite a relief. I've been grasping to this desperate hope that maybe, maybe, maybe everything will turn out OK against all odds. Now, I can relax. I can breathe. I can go, put in my hours, collect a paycheck, run out the clock and stop going that extra twenty miles. I'll call my HR department on Monday to let them know if I can find this, anyone can and perhaps it's time for our corporate heads to stop being so secretive -- HR has been really good to me, so if I can help them avoid some headaches, I will.

But first, I think some wine for tonight.

2 comments:

Sayre said...

Well, I suppose this is good news. If nothing else, it's good to know for sure what's happening so you can move on to the next phase of things.

It might get interesting, but I know you will land on your feet.

Anonymous said...

I know I keep saying this, but don't forget that my door is always open.

You have earned that consideration, at the very least. I am hugely proud of you, little brother. I have no doubt you will catapult into something even better and closer to your spiritual grounding (New York).

Andy is spear-heading the renovation of my downstairs. I am putting in a full bathroom and finishing out the other side. If you need a little outside work, all that junk needs to be hauled to make room for the construction.

John