Thursday, April 30, 2009

decisions, decisions...

So the NYC job, for now, is a no-go. They'd already settled on a candidate but posted the ad to be safe. Oh well.

I'm at a crossroads with work right now. Everyone knows that the end is coming, but there's no indication that it'll be soon. They screwed up their exit earlier this month and are now stuck with a property they must continue to pay rent on, unoccupied. Meanwhile, the fallout continues at my workplace.

Now comes this: My job has been eliminated. Well...not eliminated. Re-defined. So much, in fact, that it warrants a new title. It expands my responsibilities and holds me accountable for more than I was previously.

New title and more responsibility = better pay, right? No, see, there you would be wrong. Not a single penny. Also, these changes were thrust upon me. There was no conference, discussion or anything of the sort. This was effective last week, but I only just found out about it today.

Now couple these things with the reality of the situation I'm in right now. Three weeks ago I was forced to cut back three quarters of my staff hours, laying off several valuable employees, revoking health insurance from several more as we couldn't keep them above the full-time threshold, and performing the job duties of four people at any given time. It's astonishing to me that I get as much done as I do, but my workdays have increased two hours every day. Now, expand my responsibilities and make me directly accountable for things I have been consistently blocked from doing (for instance, fixing the air conditioner). It's beyond unreasonable. If I accept the changes and the position, my next performance review is in the toilet and a pathway to being fired.

It's taking a major toll on me. I'm beat down, exhausted, and just don't feel well in a non-specific way. I just don't think I can do it much longer. And with the change of job title, I have an out. I'm eligible for unemployment if I leave my position voluntarily due to a substantial change of the position I hold. This qualifies. It's where this whole thing is heading anyway, and I won't be able to focus any kind of time on a job search until I'm out of there. It's a difficult choice, and it's one I will have to make soon, but there are so many layers and it's going to take time to consider them all.

Sigh.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Three words, little brother...

Document, document, document.

If you don't do the things they are trying to heap on you, who will? Canning you will likely open up all sorts of customer complaints, which has the potential to lead to a class action lawsuit. Might behoove them to pay you what you are worth. Cheaper for them in the long run.

John

Anonymous said...

Before you determine to bail out on the basis that the job description changed etc. make damned certain your prception of the rule is right. Then consider what you gain and what you lose--unemployment is pretty this gruel. If you are on firm ground you can then play hardball. More $$$ or I walk and that could bring on lawsuits and lots of other nasty stuff. A raise for me is better than the downstream consequences of my leaving, capeche?
I know the job is toast eventually, so I have very little to lose, you, on the other hand, dear employer could find my departure, either voluntary or on the end of your boot, quite expensive.
A raise would solve a lot.
BUT BE SURE YOU ARE ON SOLDI GROUND FIRST! And as John said, document, document, document. Dates, times places.

good luck sport. dad