Friday, October 3, 2008

the struggle

A few months ago I wrote about my diagnosis and taking ownership of life. At that moment in time, it was words on a screen, and it remained that way for a while.

I haven't always been completely honest about this process. I'll say I'm fine, everything's cool, no problems, but mentally, I'm a mess. I have always been a do-it-yourself kind of guy, and I hate having to reach out for help or admitting I'm in over my head. And most of the time, I've been able to pull myself out of whatever mess I fall into. But occasionally, life gets bigger than myself and I really don't have a choice.

For the past ten months, I've lived pretty much in seclusion. I'd wake up, go to work, come home, lock myself in my room for three hours and go to sleep, and repeat the whole routine again the next day, only deviating on rare occasions. And for a time, it was what I needed -- time to be still, peaceful, and to reflect. I was still able to put on the face of 'nothing's wrong' at work and in general. As the months trudged on, though, it became less reflective and more hiding away.

My roommate, God love him, has been noticing this and has recently been making a point to needle me about it whenever I'm out and about with him. I was chastised several times around my friends while we were in NYC about it. He's worried about me, and my friends took the hint and started needling me about it too.

I started smoking again. In the absence of harder drugs or alcoholism or anything else, it kept me calm and helped maintain that mask and gave me something else to escape into, as stupid as that sounds.

For some reason today, I woke up and decided it was time to do something about it. My GP (who I used to hate, but I'm coming to appreciate more and more) took me in on a walk-in. We talked about a couple of things; he took some bloodwork, gave me a flu shot, and wrote out a prescription for Chantix, a smoking cessation aid. My cholesterol came back right away, and apparently I'm in terrific condition on that front. "You'll live 'til you're 100 if you keep this up," he told me. My HDL is a little low for his liking and suggested I start taking niacin to get that back up.

I got on the phone with my insurance company to see if Chantix was covered, and to inquire about mental health benefits. I've decided it's time to start working from a clean slate, and to do that I have to get around this roadblock in my head I'm stuck behind. She sent me a list of providers and broke the bad news that Chantix wasn't covered. That's OK. It's worth the extra expense in the long run. I got the prescription filled.

There's a lot of money pouring out of me for this stuff -- after my apicoectomy a few months ago I've been on a pretty tough regimen of dental care, too -- but with my birthday a scant two months away, I think it's worth it. On the slide to 30, I realize I need to start taking these steps now so I won't have to deal with something much worse in a few years.

I can't really say where all this is heading, since I don't really know yet. After mostly surviving NYC for nearly ten years, though, I have to say I'm thrown that I let Atlanta get the better of me sometimes. If the mortgage crisis has taught us anything, though, it's that ownership is best taken in small steps. Don't try to grab on to something bigger than you can handle, or you'll wind up on your ass. It's a tortured metaphor, I know, but I think it applies.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Be strong enough to know when to lean on someone.
You have a hell of a support system here. 3 brothers that think the world of you, 15 minutes away.
All of us drive vehicles in good repair, so the 4 hour drive to the rest of the family is usually doable.

I am very proud of the man you have become. Do your brothers a favor and lean a little.

Andy

Sayre said...

I'm so glad you are taking care of yourself NOW. It really will make a difference - take the example of your older sister, who smoked and ate bad food into her early 40s, when her doctor smacked her upside the head and said "You're gonna die if you keep this up."

I'm working on it. I don't smoke anymore. I watch my diet. I take the Niacin (Rx). A little tip: take it at night. Take a 81 mg aspirin a half hour before, eat one of those little cups of applesauce, then take the niacin. It helps with the skin flushing.

I'm also glad you're going to see someone in mental health. Sometimes life hands us things that are just too big for us to know how to handle by ourselves. We get help so we can learn how.

Take care of yourself. Lots of people here who love you.

Anonymous said...

I'm so proud of you for taking yourself in hand. Sometimes life is very hard. Some hurdles seem to be just too high, but you have overcome high hurdles before, and I know you have the heart to do it again. You have lots of loving support, and we are all cheering you on. I understand hiding out. I have been known to do it myself. Just remember, as hard as it is to keep yourself out there, if you don't, losing touch with the world really does mess up your mind. Your roommate is a prince. Let your brothers help you, too.
Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

Words fail. No answers. Only that life does slam you about, hurt you so badly you sometimes wonder if you can handle it. At some point in life you learn it is universal.Some are tested early, others later. "Save us from the time of trial" speaks to a universal fear and a universal reality. We are all tried.
You do not let it own you. You do not let the circumstances pin you down. You stagger back on to your feet and you keep going.
You have a family that cares for you, loves you, supports you. I read your brother's comment and a tear runs down my cheek. Old men cry, son, we have seen too much and kindness and love are cause for tears. Go ahead, lean.
dad

Anonymous said...

Speaking as someone outside looking in -- you are incredibly BLESSED to have such an amazing, caring family that is there for you. They love and support you 100%.

It's hard to ask for help, I know, trust me! But that's mostly our own pride holding us back. Don't be afraid, they are there for you and always will be.

Congrats on taking your first steps. Here's wishing you a long, happy journey with plenty of loving people walking by your side.

kitty