Saturday, February 7, 2009

life is good

I finally did it. After fifteen months of growing it out, I cut it all off yesterday. My hair will shortly be shipped off to Locks of Love, to be made into wigs for children with cancer. It's wonderfully gratifying, and there's the added bonus of having a cute new 'do. I feel good. And those good feelings have led me to think about my station in life.

It's a good life. It's not perfect, but it's working for me. I have a great roommate who takes good care of me. I have a job that keeps me somewhat comfortable, and the best boss a person could hope for. I've regained my health after a long, questionable period. I have all my family still here, and mostly doing what they want to be doing. And after three and a half years of active disdain, I'm getting to be OK with Atlanta. I'm not in a bad place.

I'm sure next week something will happen that temporarily throws it all into flux again, but for now, I'm relaxed, lucid, and OK. And all of this is coming out because I gave something of myself to someone who otherwise wouldn't have it. I like this.

2 comments:

Sayre said...

It is the secret, I think. The more you give, the more you receive.

I too, am in a happy place. I was thinking about it today, what makes for a successful person. It sure isn't money. Or status. OR the perfect significant other. It's being happy in your own skin, enjoying everything in your life and not worrying too much about the rest of it. Things sort themselves out. I find I wear a smile most of the time these days and it feels much better than the perma-frown that gave me that cute little exclamation mark between my eyebrows. (See? Sunny side!)

So! Now that you've cut your hair off, are you going to grow it again?

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I wondered about the ever-increasing mane. I should have known it was something like that. :)

It is fun for me to see you coming to these realizations. Life is not so much about choices as it is about the second order effects of those choices. You can't unshoot the gun. What makes a life is how you deal with the choices you have made, not so much the choices themselves. Happiness, comfort, and ease with oneself is the way to measure internal success. :)

John