Monday, December 29, 2008

lack of options

Just shy of a year has passed since I started writing in this incarnation and I've mustered barely 35 entries. That's pretty sad.

--

So before this blog takes a left-turn into 'bitch-bitch-bitch' territory, my birthday and holidays were lovely, if a bit sedate. I couldn't get away from Atlanta for either, but a dinner here, a brunch there, and a gracious invitation from my roommate's family to include me in their festivities certainly added a bit of warmth to the days.

I went and saw Benjamin Button today, and frankly... don't bother. It's an overlong, maudlin display of storytelling without an actual story. It took three hours to say nothing. I don't get the praise that's being heaped on it. I thought it was dreck, honestly.

---

OK, time to bitch about work again. Second verse, same as the first...

I took some time off from work a couple of weeks ago, just after my birthday. It was a bad sign when the first two days I was off, I had to go in anyway. I did, however, manage four days in a row of not being there. It was refreshing, a chance to relax and leave it behind. I didn't go away (Priceline didn't want to cooperate), so I sat at home, ate cookies (Thanks Mom! They were great!) and decompressed.

What was disappointing about this particular time around was how clearly into focus it put my present situation at work. In the past, I've gotten to sneak away for a few days, relax, recharge, and come back ready to focus on the tasks at hand. This time, I came to realize that I've tuned out. After three and a half years of general neglect, boneheaded moves, extraordinarily inadequate pay... I'm done. I'm overworked and underappreciated, and frankly, I have more important 'me' things to worry about now rather than crawling on the roof to turn on the heat. I've been neglecting those 'me' things for the past year, and I can't do that any more.

Which brings us to a delightful catch-22. I don't generally know what I'm good at until I'm doing it... so transitioning into something new is always a challenge because I can't ever figure out where I'm going to land next. Plus, I'm actually seriously considering going back to school (shut up, shut up, I know, I've already heard it)... something not possible in my current position. So... a new job that allows full health insurance, enough time for school, and that won't sap me of my passion for life and allows me to work on myself a bit too... in this economic climate.

Yeah, good luck, douchebag.

I've thought about going back to bartending again... if you get in with the right company, insurance is included. It's somewhat recession-proof (times are great? let's drink! times are tough? let's drink!)... and if I land the night shift, I can make money and have the time I need for myself. I wouldn't call it progress, but it may be what I need to get myself back together.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, little brother-
I am proud of you for considering school. Remember that I will be in Kuwait until next November, so if you need a break on rent... :)

Those moments when we think we can't go on and do anyway are the moments that reveal who we really are. The key to life is not in winning at everything immediately, but in driving ever forward until you do.

John

Sayre said...

Kudos to you for the school idea. It's a hard thing to get back to once you're away (although John is the master of this) and if you're like me, you need to have the time to spend BEING a student. Obviously this job isn't going to give you that.

I wish you luck in finding something that suits you - the bartending may be the way to go at the moment because of the reasons you stated. Out of curiosity, I looked at the newspaper's classifieds after they announced that they would stop running filler ads because newsprint costs so much, and just run the legitimate job ads. Guess how many there were? Seven. SEVEN! I was absolutely stunned, followed quickly by grateful because I actually like my job, enjoy my job and it pays well enough that I'm not tempted to leave for something "better".

I hope that 2009 turns out to be a wondrous year for you, one in which at least one dream comes true!

Love you lots!

Anonymous said...

Jay, you're so personable and likeable - I bet you'd be excellent at most anything you tried, especially if it had some interaction with others. Hang in there - the new year holds good things for you.

Love,
Beth